First produced by Dr. Martens in the early 1970's - the 2976 boot, has its origins all the way back in 1851 when it was patented by Queen Victoria's shoemaker J. Sparkes Hall. Worn originally as a horse riding boot which then became popular as both an agricultural work-wear and walking boot as they could be easily removed and put back on again due to the elasticated gusset on either side of the boot. Crafted from a naturally milled, heavyweight leather with a waxy finish sitting on top of Dr. Martens signature air cushioned sole. Material: Leather.